During the session with the alpacas, the
students learn about alpacas and have the chance to pet them as well.
How much do you know about alpacas?
period: 335 - 345 days
- Weight at birth: 10-20 pounds
- Life Span: 15-20 years
- Alpacas do not spit very often and only at each other, to signal
displeasure at a herd member
- Twin births are very rare
- A baby alpaca is called a cria
- Alpaca fleece has 22 natural shades ranging from black to silver
and rose gray and white, from mahogany brown to light fawn and
champagne. Alpacas can be bred for specific color.
- alpaca fleece is hypoallergenic
- Alpacas are indigenous
to the High Andes of the South American countries of
Peru, Bolivia and
- Alpacas are quiet,
peaceful animals and make soft humming sounds to communicate